Wednesday, September 9, 2009

A Quick Update on my Book Proposal

On Labor Day, I felt like God had told me to follow up on the proposal that I gave to the Editor at Lifeway. So after a fun day with my family and in-laws, I sat down at the computer to write the follow up e-mail. The next morning at 10:00 am, I received a follow up e-mail from the editor at Lifeway regarding my book proposal. It basically said that he still had my work and planned to review it but that he had many deadlines and that he would review it and get to it in the not too distant future. He encouraged me in the ministry of writing but warned me that they get hundreds of proposed books a year and at most a couple of slots to fill. I was thrilled to have such a quick response.

That night, there was another e-mail from the editor in my in box. It started, "I was in need of some refreshment and decided to read your work..." The editor said that "Penny, you are a talented writer and you communicate well." He continued his note that they are not actively looking for new writers and are in a situation of having to choose selectively from several well know writers. However, he continued, "I really like your treatment of Hezekiah. He is a character who really makes you grapple with questions like why do we so often turn from God after He does something really major in our lives. I do believe you've done a good job." He also included some technical advice on helping readers apply the study and some other advice on teaching in my church and in a wider setting. I was so encouraged by his quick and encouraging response. The day before I received his note, I had been in a time of questioning what I was doing with my life. This e-mail was a wonderful confirmation that God has a plan and will work to carry out His purpose, I just have to be willing to do what God has called me to do.

For those of you reading this blog, thanks so much for your prayers and encouragement. I hope that this encourages you to be faithful to all that God has called you to do whether it is writing, homemaking, working outside of the home, and parenting. Romans 8:28 encourages us that God works in all things for the good of those who love Him and are called according to His purpose. As you go about your day, whether you are cooking, or cleaning, taking care of kids or in meetings, look to see God working for your good. He is. He loves you and wants to bless YOU.

1 comment:

  1. Penny I never read the first blog you wrote about giving your proposal. What an amzing journey the Lord is allowing you to walk. I was so encouraged by your humbleness and Truth in who you are...and in that was shown who HE is. So EXCITING that not only did He open the door, but that He is encouraging you to continue on in the journey! MAy He continue to equipp and prepare you for His perfect will to be done in and through you life, by the power of HIS Holy Spirit. In Jesus' Name:)
    Love you cousin!!!!

    ReplyDelete