Sunday, January 8, 2017

A Beautiful Design



Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives, and the one who seeks finds, and to the one who knocks it will be opened. Matthew 7:7-8


Something happens when you post a picture of your messy laundry room for all the world to see on your blogyou find the time to clean it up! I put away the laundry, gave a jacket back to a friend, took a bunch of stuff to a local charity, put all the hanging clothes the closet, and returned several items to stores. It took a couple hours work over several days. But the end result was amazing and truly freeing.  Now when I walk into my laundry room, I don't have that overwhelming "ugh" feeling that comes from living with stuff I don't want to deal with.   

After I got rid of  the clutter that was covering almost every flat surface in my laundry room, I noticed a funny thing about my dryer. It seemed that the instrument panel labeling was damaged.  A blue plastic film was ripped and peeling away in places. Once I started peeling it off, I thought,    "I might as well finish the job and and at least make it look smoother and not ragged." This is the slightly compulsive mindset that motivates me when I bite my nails, fortunately,  it had a much better result on my dryer. 

As I peeled away the blue plastic film, I realized that the plastic was intended to be removed.  Removing it revealed the beautiful pattern the designer's had incorporated on the front of my dryer. I had lived with this dryer for almost 15 years, it worked fine and I could have gone another 15 years and never once realized that I was missing out on how it was designed to look!  15 years of laundry!  Countless loads of dried clothes and I never realized it was supposed to look different. What if we are doing that with our lives as well?

What if you are missing out on the blessings and beauty that the Designer has already put your messy places because you haven't let him have His way in your life? 

What if our relationships with our kids and parents, friends and spouse are covered with a hazy film that makes life harder because we haven't asked the Designer's opinion on what He intended for us to have?   What if our job and our finances are a struggle because we haven't bothered to find our Designer's plan for our time and money? What if our physical and mental health is a struggle because we haven't sought his wisdom and purpose? What if we don't have His perspective because we simply haven't asked for it?  To quote last week's blog, "If God created you... He knows what is best for you.  He has a plan for your life that requires His participation in every part."  Our job is to ask.  Matthew 7:7-8 says "ask and you shall receive, seek and you will find." 

Psalm 139:13-16 is a beautiful passage detailing how God designed each of us in our mother's womb. 

" For you created my inmost being;
    you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
    your works are wonderful,
    I know that full well.
My frame was not hidden from you
    when I was made in the secret place,
    when I was woven together in the depths of the earth.
Your eyes saw my unformed body;
    all the days ordained for me were written in your book
    before one of them came to be."


If I hadn't invited all of you to see my messy laundry room, I am sure that my dryer would still be covered in the blue plastic that was supposed to be removed after purchase so many years ago. It is never too late for a miraculous transformation to occur in our lives.  Just because we lived with a mess till now doesn't mean it defines us. As the year begins, now is the time to ask your Creator to reveal His plans for your life.  You will be surprised and amazed at the beauty that is right before your eyes.  


Ask God to reveal if you are you holding on to things that have served their purpose but were designed to be removed?


4 comments:

  1. Love this! Thank you Penny for sharing. What an apropos image of something that "has served its purpose but is designed to be removed."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Erica- I am so glad that you enjoyed this.

      Delete
  2. Very thought provoking Penny. Thank you for allowing God to use your imperfections so that the Holy Spirt was free to reveal this wonderful correlation and I for one can definitely relate. I am challenged to identify and remove all the noise and clutter so that He can be the potter and I can be the clay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks- I think comparing clutter to noise is so great. We can miss hearing God because of all the noise around us.

      Delete