Sunday, February 26, 2017

I've got it all together....

You are altogether beautiful, my darling; there is no flaw in you. Song of Solomon 4:7  


My turn had come.  What seemed like a great idea suddenly got personal. Our Bible Study teacher on the Power of Words asked us all to individually look at ourselves in a huge full length mirror, and say who we are in Christ.   It was a powerful moment. Class members looked at themselves and said, "In Christ, I am a patient mom and a supportive wife; In Christ, I have forgiveness for people who have hurt me; In Christ, I am loving.    After every single person went, I awkwardly stood in front of the mirror, everyone had gone so they weren't focusing on what they were going to say.  I know that in Christ I have every spiritual gift and that I have all the resources of a King's daughter but I still need His help.  I see the flaws not only in the mirror but also in my heart and mind.

So I stood there, stared at the mirror and said out loud, "In Christ, I am organized and I have it all together."  Being organized seems like such a simple thing,   I have lots of friends who are naturally organized. Maybe I have so many because opposites attract- they are fascinated by my carefree attitude and I aspire to learn from them.   One of their favorite verses is 1 Corinthians 14:33a "For God is not a God of disorder but of peace." I like this verse too- it gives me hope and reminds me that when I am seeking God's will and His way there will be peace and a sense of order.  

That I would have it "all together"- is even harder for me.  I have moments when I seem to get done what I need to do, dinner is made, house is neat, presents are bought, writing is flowing, finances are in order, kids and husband have what they need, my roots are blonde, my car is clean and my heart is focused on the Kingdom of God.  These moments are brief, measured in the hundredths of second at a radioactive isotope like Ununquadium exists before disintegrating into nonexistence.  

 I don't have it all together.  As I get older, I have realized more and more what I don't know, what I can't do and where I fall short.   Romans 3:23 points out that all of us have made mistakes and fallen short of the glory of God.  We need His help because we can't do it on our own.    If we humble ourselves (which is simply admitting He has got it all together and we don't) by asking for his help, we can be perfect because he is perfect and all together lovely.     I love Romans 8:28 "And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose".  

God has got this. He takes big mistakes like my ordering the wrong size water heater- who knew we had a fifty gallon water heater instead of the 75 gallon one I ordered from Sears, it had the highest rating - and small mistakes like not being able to put my leaky kitchen faucet back together after taking it apart while the water was turned off and turns it into a blessing for a plumber who was able to sell me a new water heater and a blessing for me because he helped me fix not one but two leaky faucets.  God even used my Mom who lives two hours away to deliver the missing faucet part because she planned to visit a friend near my house.  

In spite of my lack of organization and mistakes, I do have it all together because I have Christ in me who holds the whole world in His hands.  He's got you and me sister in His hands.   He's got the whole world in His hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment