Tuesday, April 16, 2013

How to Boast


God has given each of us unique giftedness that allows us to bless others and bring glory to Him. In my last blog, I wrote about the amazing privilege we have to join God in His work in this world. When we work out of our strengths, it is so important that we do not lose sight of all that God has done so that we do not boast. I like to think that writing is one of my strengths so I need to make sure that I am not just writing out of my ability to put words on a page and my desire to check off my mental list of "write today" and instead I need to make sure I am using my gift of writing to bring Glory to God.

The Book of Judges tells the story of how God gave an amazing victory to Gideon and  a small group of soldiers with pots and torches to keep them from boasting against God. God knew that the Israelites were very prone to idolatry and wanted to make sure that they didn't replace Baal worship with worship of their own strenght or military expertise.  Boasting elevates our efforts, our resources and abilities over God.

Boasting can become a form of idolatry and take our focus off God.Jeremiah 9:23, 24 says clearly,
"This is what the LORD says:
"Let not the wise man boast of his wisdom
or the strong man boast of his strength
or the rich man boast of his riches,

but let him who boasts boast about this:
that he understands and knows me,
that I am the LORD, who exercises kindness,
justice and righteousness on earth,
for in these I delight,"
declares the LORD.

Just as Gideon and his fellow soldiers gave God glory for the victory, we need to boast about awho God is and all that God has done for us whether we are in the midst of limited resources or abundance. God is so good. He showers us with kindness, saved us through the sacrifice of His blood, He is just, He passionately pursues a right relationship with us and He delights in us. He loves us so much.






As I was writing my Bible study about Hezekiah, I found it exciting to use the gifts, resources and experiences that God has given me to write a nine chapter book. But as I have struggled to write a second Bible Study I realized I had started to think that all that what I do- reading, marketing, researching, and typing were most important and I forgot all that God did in helping me to write my first study.



No comments:

Post a Comment